Pearson Test of English (Academic)
The Pearson Test of English (PTE) is a test of international academic English designed to test the English competence of students who come from a background where English is not their first language. The PTE has been expertly designed to assess students’ Listening, Reading, Speaking and Writing skills and is now a top choice for students worldwide who need to provide proof of their English Language Ability.
Who Recognises PTE?
The test is internationally recognized and is accepted by top UK universities, top US universities and there is now 100% recognition from all universities in Australia.
PTE Academic is also accepted by the UK Border Agency (UKBA) for Tier 4 and Tier 2 visa applications.
Find recognizing institutions
- MBA programs
- English language programs – including ESL, EFL, IEL and ELICOS
- Pathway and foundation programs
What Score Do I Need?
- A score of at least 36 is required for UKBA tier 4 student visas for students wishing to study on a course below degree level
- A score of at least 51 is required for UKBA tier 4 student visas for students wishing to study on a course at or above degree level at an institution that is not a UK Higher Education Institution
- If you wish to study at degree level or above at a UK Higher Education Institution, then it is the university that decides on the score you will need
Advantages of the PTE
- Fast results – typically within five business days, enabling students to meet their SELT requirements more efficiently
- Flexible test dates – Giving students more control and confidence. Tests can be taken at UKEAS Nigeria Ikeja Test Centre.
Click here to book a test
- Accepted globally and approved by the UK Border Agency for UK visas
- A single three-hour test session
- Recognised as an English language qualification to pass the UK’s requirements for settlement and naturalisation.
PTE Academic is Three (3) hours long and is split into timed parts. When time is up on the section, the test will move on automatically.
There are 20 different types of task:
- Introduction: Untimed (This section allows students to introduce themselves and it’s not assessed, actually it help students relax more and ready for the test.
- Speaking & Writing:
This section takes 77-93minutes and it test students spoken and written English proficiency. Students will be asked to speak into a microphone and record their answers within 3seconds of hearing the tone, once it’s not done as instructed it moves on to the next item.
This section takes 32-41minutes and it’s aimed at weighing students’ reading skills, including comprehension and vocabulary.
- Break: 10minutes (Though optional)
This section takes 45-57minutes and it test students’ ability to listen to different varieties of spoken English, e.g. British, American & Australian. Audio and video clips will be heard once and will not be replayed. Students will really need to be attentive!
How to register
UKEAS is an authorized centre for this test; please use the registration form below or call Racheal on +234 8057126718 for more information.
NB: UKEAS offers discount vouchers to students wishing to take the Pearson Test. Please note that these are ONLY available to students who have registered with UKEAS.
Do you still have some questions? Chat to one of our counsellors for the most up-to-date professional advice. Don't forget, its free!